There is something very wrong in a society which needs to segregate women from men, because of the actions of a few misogynists.
In Jakarta, commuter trains have a women only carriage at each end. TransJakarta buses have women only compartments at the front guarded by a conductor. There are even a couple of women only buses, as IndoJazzia recently found to his cost. It was barely a quarter full, but no admittance was allowed.
Positive discrimination is just that: discrimination
So why is IndoJazzia offering this downloadable compilation of women jazzers?
a. Because we can?
b. Because they inspire?
c. Because they are virtually unknown in this country?
d. Because … watch, listen to the compilation, and you decide.
01. Sidsel Endresen – Western Wind
02. Monica Vasconcelos – Out Of The Doldrums
03. Meshell Ndegeocello – Good Day Bad
04. Charenee Wade – Ain’t No Such Thing As Superman
05. Andrea Wolper – The Girls In Their Dresses
06. Lea DeLaria – The Ballad of Sweeney Todd
07. Carla Bley w. Julie Tippetts – Indonesian Dock Sucking Supreme
08. Luciana Souza – Free at Last
09. Maria Pia De Vito – God Must Be A Boogie Man
10. Rigmor Gustafsson – The Dry Cleaner From Des Moines
11. Sidsel Endresen – Travelling Still
Hatfield and the North – Central ITV Studios, Nottingham 29 03.90 is a very rare treat.
The band is a legendary part of the ‘Canterbury Scene‘ … Robert Wyatt, Soft Machine, Caravan, Bill Bruford et al. A bootleg of a rehearsal for a TV show in 1990 has recently surfaced and with French jazz pianist Sophia Domancich on keyboards for just this one gig, the band display their jazz improvisational skills not heard before or since.