… and half of dozen of the other.
A polydactyl human hand
You probably won’t want to know that the Pythagoreans acknowledged number 6 to be the first perfect number. But I’ll tell you anyway: in mathematics a perfect number is when all the number’s divisors (excluding the number itself) are added, the sum equals the number itself:
1+2+3 = 6.
In addition when including the number itself and dividing by two the result is the number itself.
(1+2+3+6)/2 = 6.
Do they teach that in kindergardens? Is that why here in Indonesia state schooling is obligatory from age six, and that there are six grades in primary (SD) school?
With those irrelevancies in mind, maybe it’s best to say that today is the sixth day of the sixth month of the year 2017, which just happens to be a prime number (only divisible by itself and 1). Therefore please download and listen to a nice round dozen (2×6 = 12) tracks from the IndoJazzia archives.
01. Michael Mantler – Number Six, Part One
02. Harry South Big Band – Six To One Bar
03. Eddie Palmieri – Sixes In Motion
04. Ben Webster – Jive At Six
05. Charlie Christian – Six Appeal
06. John Cali & Tony Guttuso – Hittin’ On All Six
07. Django Reinhardt – Chez Moi À Six Heures
08. Langston Hughes – Six-Bits Blues
09. Meade Lux Lewis – Six Wheel Chaser
10. Miroslav Vitous – Number Six
11. Jan Hammer – Sixth Day.The People
12. First Avenue – Band Six